There is no fixed set of items that a bug–out bag must have. There are, however, some generally agreed upon items you will find in any and every bug–out bag.
Here they are:
- Bottled water and canned foods in poptops or easily opened containers.
- Water for washing, drinking, cleaning and cooking. A recommended 1 gallon per person, per day.
- Non–perishable foods.
- Cooking supplies.
- Water purification supplies.
- First aid kit.
- Fire starting tool (lighter, windproof matches, etc.)
- Weather appropriate clothing.
- Pet, child, elderly needs.
- Battery/crank radio.
- Flashlight (crank/battery operated, glow sticks, etc.)
- Firearms and ammunition.
- Fixed–blade and folding knife.
- Bedding items.
- Wire for binding and animal traps.
- Duct tape.
- Plastic sheeting.
- $100 in small bills/1 roll of quarters.
- Identification (driver’s license, state identification, social security card, etc.)
- Medical records.
- Plastic tarps for shelter/water collection.
- Enough medicine for an extended evacuation.
- Reference literature (for disaster protocol consult.)
- Maps, travel information, and a compass.
- A disaster plan.
- A rendezvous point.
- Slingshot, blowgun, etc., for hunting small game.