Now that you have a strong foundation for gathering healthy berries, let’s look at a few foraging tips that make finding nutritious berries a cinch.
- Don’t assume a wild berry consumed by a bird is fit for human consumption
- Carry a wild berry guide to confirm the identification of a plant
- Avoid foraging areas sprayed with pesticides
- Never forage near heavy industrial areas and along roads
- Summer and fall represent the best seasons to find ripe berries
- Ensure the legality of foraging
- Sign up for a state park sponsored foraging class
- Local colleges and universities may organize foraging trips to help you learn how to identify berries and other edible plants
Above all, never eat a berry unless you are 100 percent sure it’s safe.